- Designed and assembled in the USA
- Able to remove up to 99% of arsenic, chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, lead, bacteria, virus and other 1000+ different types of contaminants.
- Can treat both tap water and well water
- Longer lifespan of filters
- Safe materials used – lead-free faucet, FDA Certified JG Food grade tubing
- Comes with 2-year manufacturer warranty
If you are looking for a very popular and not expensive reverse osmosis system, you can consider the APEC Top Tier 5-Stage Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System. It gets a high rating and many users give it a positive review. As a basic RO system, it abandons any bells and whistles, making it more cost-effective.
As a 5-stage water filter, it is able to produce 1 gallon of pure water while producing another about 3 gallons of waste water at the same time. The ratio of the filtered water to waste water is average, compared to other mainstream RO system on the market. And this system can offer you up to 50 gallons of pure water per day.
This product offer you everything, so you can install it and set it up without any other tool that you need to buy separately. If you have some basic DIY skills, you can install it within 1 hour. A pressurized storage tank and a water faucet are also included.
This system has a 1 filter per housing system, which means 1 filter has 1 housing. If you need to replace a filter, you need to remove the housing filter and at last reattach the housing. Because water is in the housing, you should be careful if you are just replacing the filter.
The stage 1 to 3 filters are common filters which should be replaced every 6 months. You can use a “C” spanner wrench to loosen the filter first, and then unscrew it by hand. Remove the old one and replace it with the new one. And screw it by hand, and use the “C” spanner to tighten it. That is the whole process of replacing a filter. In order to twist it off much easier next time, it is highly recommended to grease the housing threads. Of course, you don’t need to buy the tools, and they include in this package.
The filters of stage 4 and stage 5 should be replaced every 2 or 3 years. This depends on many factors, such as the quality of your feed water, the quantity of water used. And because it is a basic RO system, there is no any indicator to tell you when to change them. Therefore, a simple TDS test meter can do the job. You need to buy it separately and it will cost you much. You can use it to test your water. Once you found there is an obvious drop on the water quality, it is time to change a new one.
For all reverse osmosis systems, in order to flush the RO membrane, some incoming water is used and this can create back pressure. In most situations, waste water is sent down the drain. And if you think it wastes a lot of water, you can use the waste water for some non-drinking use, like washing, watering gardens, etc. Of course, some additional tubing is required to reach the waste water storage container.
How much waste water a RO system produces depends on the water pressure of the feed water. Generally, this system will produce up to 3 gallons of waste water by offering 1 gallons of pure water. The level is average in contrast to other models. Not too bad, not too good. For a system without a permeate pump, this level is acceptable. Of course, if you care about how much water it wastes, you can buy a permeate pump to raise the water pressure. Or you can buy other RO systems that have a permeate pump.
Ease of Installation
This APEC ROES–50 features a compact design, so you can install it in a very small under the sink space. Of course, before buying it, you need to know if it is suitable for your under counter space. The installation is pretty easy and anyone with basic DIY skills can install it within 1 hour. The tools needed for installation are very common and can be found in most households. Plus, the color-coded tubes can ease the installation.
A RO system works good, if the water pressure is enough. The recommended incoming water pressure should be between 40 and 85 psi. If the pressure is too low, a lot of waste water will be produced. And a permeate pump is a good way to raise the water pressure. If the water pressure is too high, it can shorten the lifespan of the filters. And a relief valve is a must-have item.
If you are the first time to install a RO system, you need to read its detailed user manual. Although it is very detailed, you also can watch the following the videos to avoid some mistakes and fasten the installation process.
- Video 1 – Unpacking
- Video 2 – Installing filters
- Video 3 – Connecting the feed water and drain saddle adaptor
- Video 4 – Installing the Water faucet
- Video 5 – The final start up
This system doesn’t come with an indicator, so the best way is to have a TDS water meter. With this tool, you can monitor the water quality on a regular basis. Once you find any dropdown on the water quality, it’s a sign that you need to change its filters.
Pros & Cons
- Very affordable
- Cheap replacement filters
- Removes up to 99% of up to 1000+ contaminants
- Easy installation
- A 2 to 3-year lifespan of the RO membrane
- Includes a lead-free faucet and a 4-gallon pre-pressurized water storage tank
- Designed and manufactured in the USA
- 2-year extended manufacturer’s warranty
- Quick response U.S. based technical support
- Water output per day: only 50 gallons
- The ratio of waste water to filtered water: 3:1
- Not modular model design – a little difficult to replace the filters
- Not include a remineralization filter
- Not include a UV light filter
- Question: What is the dimension of the shipping package?
- Answer: it is about 18”x18”. The unit itself seems a bit bigger, but it works great.t
- Question: How long can the filters last?
- Answer: This depends on many factors. The pre-filters (stage 1, 2, 3) can last about 6 months and the stage 4, 5 filters can last 2 to 3 years. If the quality of the feed water is poor, the pre-filters last shorter.
- Question: Does it remove nitrates?
- Answer: Yes, it does.
- Question: How many microns is the RO membrane rated at?
- Answer: 0.0001 micron
As one of the most-selling reverse osmosis water filters in the USA, its affordability, ease of installation and abilities to remove contaminants make it a good choice, when it comes to choosing a RO system. Although it is a system with a modular filters design, its price matters. And it is not a high-end RO system, but it performs better than some other high-end models. If you are limited on the budget, this one is really a wise choice.
Hi, I’m a young mom and has a 3-year old boy. As a healthy living blogger, I am happy to help people who care about the quality of water, air and life make wise buying decisions and save some money. Read more