Are you looking for the best water distiller and use it to make distilled water home?
Maybe you have been purchasing bottled water (distilled water, purified water or spring water), but you have to haul plenty bottles from the local store. It is expensive and boring. And you also have to get rid of so many empty jugs. Actually, besides the money you have cost, it is not friendly to our environment. Plus, it is hard to say the bottled water is of high quality, because you don’t know how it is produced.
Therefore, you have enough reasons to have a home water distiller. This means you don’t need to buy bottled water again but make distilled water at home at a lower cost. You can always enjoy high quality water and save much more money in the long run.
The first water distiller we highly recommend is the Megahome MH943TWS. It comes with a glass collection bottle. As one of the most popular water distiller on the market, it is reasonably priced and well-made. And it delivers outstanding performance. Once you have it, you will find it is really a good home appliance that you must have.
Well, you may have several questions on this product like the following. What features make it outstanding? How to use it or is it easy to use. How much does this model cost? Where to buy? In this fully detailed review, we will answer them and help you make a wise decision on whether this one is the best home water distiller based on your requirements.
You also can visit this link to see more details on Amazon. Or you can read the whole product review in the following.
High Quality Materials
This distiller uses high quality materials. Its cover, boiling chamber as well as condensing coils are all made of high quality food-grade stainless steel. The white color doesn’t mean the outside of this water distiller is plastic. Actually, it is enamel coated steel. Therefore, it is very strong and can last for a very long time. Both its handle and lid use food-grade polypropylene to make. And its collection bottle is made of glass. When water stream is condensed, distilled water will go through its glass nozzle and finally into the collection bottle.
In a word, distilled water will not come into contact with any plastic. Therefore, distilled water is of high quality and will not be polluted again.
Easy to use
Well, it is pretty easy to use this countertop water distiller to make distilled water at home. First, you need to fill its boiling chamber with well water or tap water, and then put its collection bottle under the nozzle and make it in place, and at last push its start button to make it work. That’s all. And you don’t need to wait, but leave away. Once there is no water left in the chamber, it will shut off automatically. This design is very useful. For example, if you need to drink distilled water when you wake up every day, you can make it start before you go to bed.
As a home countertop distiller, it comes with a compact design, so it doesn’t occupy much counter space. Plus, it is lightweight. If you want to go somewhere and feel worried about the poor water quality, you can easily take it with you.
What comes in the box?
Once you buy it, you will receive everything you need to make distilled water at home, including:
- A distiller
- A glass collection bottle
- 6 charcoal filter sachets
- A package of citric acid residue cleaner
Why you need a home water distiller to make distilled water at home?
Besides drinking distilled water, there are many other reasons you need a home water distiller to make distilled water at home, including:
- Obviously, distilled water removes impurities and contaminants from our drinking water.
- Tap water contains plenty of contaminants, so distilled water or purified water is ideal for making baby formula.
- Using distilled water to cook tea, coffee or make ice cubes can improve the taste and flavor
- You also can use it to water house plants or for seed germination, which can make them grow strong.
- It is also highly recommended to use distilled water for car radiators and batteries.
- For some appliances (like irons, essential oil diffusers and humidifiers), distilled water is helpful not to cause mineral buildup. So it is helpful to extend the lifetime of these appliances.
- Some home medical devices (like Neti Pots) need super high quality water and distilled water is the right choice. Similarly, CPAP therapy machines require clean water.
- Distilled water is a good way to replace buying bottled water, so you can save a lot of money and make a contribution to environment protection.
How does water distillation work?
Actually, water distillation is not a new way but it is one of the oldest and most effective methods to purify water. And in our daily life, distillation is everywhere. For example, rain is the result of the distillation. Compared to using a water filter to filter out contaminants in the water, water distillation is the opposite. It evaporates the water from contaminants.
The water distiller heat the water in the chamber to boil, and then the water begins to turn into steam. Stream rises, while others (except VOCs) are left in the chamber. Of course, biological pathogens are killed, like bacteria, viruses, as well as protozoa. And toxins (like heavy metals, salts, minerals, as well as other chemicals) are left in the chamber. Stream rises and finally enters the condensing room. It will be condensed into liquid water again. Finally, liquid water will be led to the collection bottle. Therefore, distilled water doesn’t contain any contaminants.
VOCs may be a problem, but most distillers have a carbon filter to get rid of them before enter into the collection bottle.
Of course, you need to clean its chamber, because all the bad thing is left in it.
How to use
Of course, it is so easy to use this megahome water distiller. First, you just need to fill its boiling chamber with well water or tap water. Second, put its lid on. And then put the glass collection bottle under its nozzle. At last, push its start button. That’s all. When the distillation is finished, it will shut off automatically. Therefore, you don’t need to wait around it. A few hours later, you can get fresh distilled water to consume.
How much distilled water it can produce per day
Well, it can produce 1 gallon water in 5.5 hours. This means if you keep it running all the time, you can get about 4 gallons of distilled water per day. Of course, ever 5.5 hours, you need to refill its chamber with water and empty its collection bottle.
Can it get rid of fluoride from our tap water?
Yes, of course. It removes most.
Can it remove lead from the water?
Yes, definitely. It can remove all the lead as well as other heavy metals in the water.
Does it remove all the healthy minerals?
The answer is true. All the minerals will be removed, no matter they are good or bad. It is hard to say whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. Only 15% of minerals we needs comes from the water drink. This means we can get the most part of healthy minerals from the food and distilled water is safe to drink.
However, if you feel worried about the lack of healthy minerals in the distilled water, there are some ways to solve this problem.
- Add some Celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Add some lemon juice
- Buy some product to remineralize the distilled water, such as Concentrace Trace Mineral Drops
How much electricity does it consume?
The power of this distiller is about 580 watts. Each gallon of distilled water needs it to work about 5.5 hours. Well, how to calculate? If the electric bill rate is about 12 cents per KWH (kilowatt-hour). Each gallon will cost about $0.38 (0.58×5.5×0.12). This means it will cost you about $139.72 per year (1 gallon per day). If you don’t know how to calculate, you can use this online electricity bill calculator.
Compared to buying bottled water, the cost is so low. This means if you insist on making distilled water at home instead of buying bottled water, you will save a lot of money.
Why does it come with a charcoal filter?
VOCs are in our tap water mostly. And distillation cannot remove them effectively. The charcoal filter is used to get rid of these VOCs in the distilled water.
How often to change the filter?
The filter will absorb VOCs and when it is full, it is time to change it. Generally, one filter can be used for 30 gallons. And this package offers 6 filters. Of course, when they are all used, you can a package on Amazon. It is not expensive. For example, one package with 12 filters only cost you about $15.
Do I need to assemble?
No, you don’t need mostly. The only thing you need to handle and attach the nozzle with activated charcoal filter. Of course, it offers full detailed instructions and you can finish the setup within several minutes.
How to clean it?
The main part you should need to clean firstly is the boiling chamber. Fill it with nomoral water and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of the citric acid cleaner to the water. And then you need to start it to run about 20 minutes. After that, unplug the distiller and allow the warm water to cool down naturally. Use a piece of soft cloth to wipe out all the possible residue and then pour out the water. Wash the boiling chamber with clean water 2 or 3 times. That’s all.
If you want to save some money, you can reduce the use of the citric acid cleaner and add some vinegar instead. Or you als can add 1/2 cup white vinegar only.
How often to clean this best distiller depends on how many gallons of distilled water it has produced. And the quality of the tap water also influences the time. To make it work effectively, you need to clean it on a regular basis. It will become hard to clean if you don’t clean it for a long time. You can clean it once a week if you use it every day.
Does it take up much counter space?
The dimension of this distiller is 10” x 19” , considering the space the collection bottle take up. Or it is about 10” x 10”. Anyway, don’t worry about it. It is compact and will not take up much counter space.
Pros & Cons
To make a wise decision, it is a good habit to know the Pros & Cons of a product you plan to order. For me, I like to find some useful customer reviews on Amazon and these reviews can tell me the pros and cons of a product. Real users left their real customer reviews, so they are valuable.
On Amazon there are over 600 customer reviews of this megahome distiller, so it is very popular on Amazon. Most of these reviews are positive, making it rated about 4.7 out of 5 stars. This rating is relatively high.
- Not product much noise, just like running a computer fan
- Made of stainless steel and all the parts don’t touch any plastic
- Offers pure and good taste water
- Removes so many contaminants in the water, resulting in a lot of sediment in the chamber.
- Easy to assembly, clean and maintain
- Compact and lightweight, perfect for travel.
- A carbon filter used to remove VOCs
- Comes with all the things, including the carbon filters and cleaners
- Affordable and can help save a lot of money
- Small capacity means you need to refill it with water regularly, not ideal for a family needs a lot of distilled water
- Once cycle is a little long – about 5.5 hours
- The glass bottle is separated, requiring extra space and care
- Removes all the minerals and increases your electricity bill
Tip 1: Don’t rely on its automatic shut-off feature too much
- Of course, this distiller will shut off automatically, if there is no water left in the boiling chamber. However, if you rely on this feature too much, the residue on the bottom or sides of the chamber will build up more quickly and becomes hard to clean. Therefore, you can buy a timer to remind you that when the chamber will be empty. Before that, unplug it and pour the water out of the chamber. This can help not to build up so much limescale.
Tip 2: Use hot water to shorten the distilling time
- If you want to shorten its distilling time, you can use hot water instead of cold tap water.
Tip 3: You can used filtered water to make distilled water, if you have a water filter installed.
- Purifed water contains less contaminants, so you will get less limescale at last.
Where to buy it
Of course, you can buy it on Amazon for the lower price and useful customer reviews. And it comes with a 1-year warranty on main parts. If you feel unsatisfied, a 30-day money return policy can help.
The Bottom Line
This best water distiller is perfect for those who need an economical distiller to make distilled water at home. It is also one of the most popular home water distiller on the market. And it is designed to be durable and easy to use.
Of course, as a home distiller, it needs electricity to run. Fortunately, it will not cost you too much energy. If you are the first time to buy a countertop water distiller, it will not disappoint you. In a word, it is worth buying and having.
Hi, I’m a young mom and has a 3-year old boy. As a healthy living blogger, I am happy to help people who care about the quality of water, air and life make wise buying decisions and save some money. Read more