A faucet water filtration system provides an affordable way of ensuring the home has a supply of healthy drinking water. These are easy to install. They are also effective in taking out any contaminants in the water.
But, there are some systems with filter cartridges that are replaced every three months.
This article provides a list of the top water filters in the market. You will know the differences between an effective water filter and a bad water filter. In addition, the reviews of different faucet water filters show the way filters work, how you can install them, and the advantages of using these filters.
A faucet water filter allows you to have clean drinking water without having a negative effect on the environment. These units do not produce wastewater unlike other types of filters. They also do not require electricity.
Best Faucet Water Filters Reviews
If you are looking for the best faucet water filter, we have done a lot of research and made this list of the top 10 best faucet water fitlers for you to choose from, based on their overall performance, ease of use and installation, ratings, prices, as well as customer reviews.
Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter
As one of the best selling faucet water filters on the market, this Culligan FM-15A is able to offer you up to 200 gallons of filtered water without changing filters and it also comes with a 2-year warranty. Of course, it is pretty easy to install it. You can directly install it without any tools. And you just need to screw this water onto the end of the tap. It is compatible with all the most types of taps. Therefore, you don’t need to feel worried.
It also offers a switch which allows you to choose either tap water or filtered water. This design is very useful and can extend the lifespan of your filter, because sometimes we don’t need filtered water but only need tap water to wash.
This filter is capable of removing most contaminants, including lead, cysts, chlorine, sediment, giardia and cryptosporidium. Therefore, it is able to improve the water taste by eliminating bad odors and tastes.
However, this filter doesn’t come with any indicator which can tell you when you need to replace its filter. Generally, you need to replace them every 3 months. You can easily purchase the replacement filters on the market.
You also can choose one with a polished chrome finish. And it also has NSF certification. More and more people choose it as their first faucet water filter, due to its affordability, ease of the installation, high ratings and great customer service.
- Eliminate Most Contaminants – Even if it features a small design, it is also able to remove most contaminants in the tap water, such as chlorine, lead, atrazine and other things that cause bad taste to our water.
- Easy Installation – You can install it without any tools needed. It is so easy to install it. Generally, you just need to use a diverter tap to connect it to the cold water supply.
- Affordability – This one cost you less than other similar products, making it the most affordable in the market.
- Offers a good water flow rate – Without waiting a long time, you can easily get pure water immediately.
- Easy to replace its filters – When you need to replace its filters, you will find the whole process is also pretty easy.
- It is certified by the ANSI and the NSF.
- It doesn’t comes with a water filter changing indicator.
For more details on this faucet water filter, please check out our full Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter Review or on Amazon below.
Brita On Tap Faucet Water Filter System
The Brita On Tap Faucet Water Filter System offers a suitable solution for households with a water source that is mildly contaminated. It can be installed easily into the faucet. The unit also provides a separate access to unfiltered and filtered water. This water filter also provides a good water flow. It can increase water flow instead of reducing it unlike other types of water filters. This means water pressure increases. In this situation, it can quickly fill a water container.
The filter also comes with a light sensor. This sensor gives a notification when it is necessary to change the filter. The filters can still be used when the light is green. Once it turns yellow, you should prepare to change it. When the light turns red, you should change the filter already.
- Fast flow of water – the water filter enhances the flow of water. It is an important advantage over other filters in the market. This makes this water filter more functional.
- Filter sensor stops working – a number of users say the light sensor indicating the need to replace the filter stops working quickly
For more details on this faucet water filter, please check out our full Brita On Tap Faucet Water Filter Review or on Amazon below.
Kabter Faucet Mount Water Filter Tap Water Filtration Purifier
The Kabter Faucet Mount Water Filter Tap Water Filtration Purifier is among the most efficient water filters in the market. This filter uses activated charcoal in removing contaminants from the water supply. Its carbon filter reduces sediments, lead, chlorine, mercury, and cysts. It also has a KDF55 filter that can remove bacteria, lime, scale, sale, fungi, and mold. The filter is durable and long-lasting. This filter is made of food-grade ABS plastic that is BPA-free, unlike other water filters that use cheap plastic.
The filters of this unit can be used for a long time. It has a filter that can be used to clean 200 gallons of water before it is necessary to change it. This means you only have to change the filters every four to five months. It is also easy to replace the filter cartridge. Changing the cartridge only takes around three minutes.
- The filter can be used for hot water – This particular water filter can be used on cold and hot water. It is capable of withstanding temperatures ranging from four to eight degrees Celsius.
- Instruction manual needs improvement – while it is easy to install this water filter, its instruction manual can be improved.
For more details on this faucet water filter, please check out our full Kabter Faucet Mount Water Filter Review or on Amazon below.
DuPont WFFM350XBN Electric Metered Faucet Filter
Another DuPont faucet water we recommend is this DuPont WFFM350XBN. As an advanced faucet water filter, its overall performance will not disappoint you and it can always offer great-tasting water. Similar to others, the installation is pretty easy. You just need to screw the filter directly onto the tap without any tools required. In order to fit all the types of taps, it comes with many adapters.
This best faucet mount water filter is able to reduce asbestos, benzene, chlorine, cysts, sediment, lead, mercury and lindane. You can use it to get pure water without any bad odor and taste.
This one can offer up to 200 gallons of filtered water. And it comes with an electronic display, which can remind you when you need to replace its filters. And with this electronic display, you can also know how many gallons of water the current filters have filtered. This design is cool, so you don’t need to guess when you need to change its filters.
And it also allows you to choose between unfiltered water and filtered water by easily flipping its switch. Plus, this one offers many finishes, helping you easily find the right one according to theme of your kitchen. These finishes including chrome, white and brushed nickel. It also comes with a 4-year warranty.
PUR Advanced Faucet Water Filter
The PUR Advanced Faucet Water Filter is another popular water filter in the market. It is the best-selling water filter on Amazon. This filter offers a steady water flow. It is also reasonably-priced. This is also an extremely effective water filter. It can efficiently take out more than 70 types of contaminants. This water filter model can also take out 99 percent of lead, 96 percent of mercury, and 92 percent of pesticides in drinking water.
It is also easy to install. Connecting or removing this water filter from the faucet only takes a few minutes. This means you can easily remove it if necessary. It is also made using high-quality materials. This makes it a long-lasting water filter.
- Offers great value – this water filter can easily provide crisp and clean water. This offers all the benefits of having purified water at home at a reasonable price. It also has a good ratio between price and effectiveness.
- Its plastic housing may break – While it features a durable plastic housing, it may easily break. Due to this, it is important to be careful when you are handling this water filter.
For more details on this faucet water filter, please check out our full PUR FM-3700B Advanced Faucet Water Filter Review or on Amazon below.
DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet
The DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet is the most affordable water filter in this list. Its low price and excellent overall ratings make it a water filter you should take into account. This water filter is easy to install. Its filtering capacity is 100 gallons. This means you only change the filter every two months. It is an effective water filter and can remove most contaminants in your water supply. Once you install the filter, you will immediate see the difference in the water. It can take out bacteria, sediments, microorganisms, chlorine, cysts, and other contaminants in water. This water filter is also effective in taking out bad tastes and odors from water.
- Inexpensive – even as it is effective and offers a suitable supply of water, it is the most inexpensive water filter on the list. Tests have shown that this water filter is as effective as the more expensive filters on the list.
- Teflon tape was not mention on its manual – this water filter has everything necessary of installing it, including Teflon tape. But, the manual does not indicate where the tape should be used. It may be mainly used to prevent any leaks.
InstaPure F2BCT3P-1ES Faucet Mount Water Filter System
The InstaPure F2BCT3P-1ES Faucet Mount Water Filter System is suitable for any household. It has everything necessary for installation. This water filter can be connected to most kitchen faucets. Its chrome finish allows it to easily blend with other appliances and fixtures in the kitchen. This water filter is also easy to use. It can be turned on or off right away. This allows you to choose when you want to use unfiltered or filtered water. In this situation, you will also understand the difference between these two kinds of water.
This water filter is easy to install unlike other water filters in the market. This makes it easy to set up on your faucet. Its filters are also affordable. While it is necessary to change the filters every three months, you will not spend too much in changing them.
- Sturdy design – aside from looking good, this water filter has a sturdy design. If you are careful in handling this water filter, it can last a long period of time.
- Does not work with hot water – this water filter does not work with hot water since it will be ruined.
Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter
The Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter is another popular water filter on this list. It is among the highly-rated units in the market. It is also the best in its category on Amazon. The high ratings of this water filter are also justified basing on how it can filter your water.
This particular water filter is also among the easiest to install compared to the other units on this list. After this unit is installed, you have the option of filtering the water or not filtering it.
Another advantage of this water filter is its long water period. Its warranty period extends to two years. This shows the confidence of the manufacturer of this water filter.
The water filter is also available in two finishes. This allows you to look for one that blends well with the fixtures and appliances in your kitchen.
- Excellent tasting water – this water filter provides excellent-tasting water. Since it removes majority of contaminants, there will be little difference between bottled mineral water and the water coming from the faucet.
- Not easy to replace the filter – most users say that it is not easy to change the filter of this system.
For more details on this faucet water filter, please check out our full Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter Review or on Amazon below.
NeillieN Drinking Water Filter
This faucet mount filter is an advanced water filtration system. It can remove up to 99% of lead, 92% of pesticides, 96% of mercury and more than 70 other contaminants. It can offer you up to 100 gallons of pure water. Generally, every 2 to 3 months you need to change its filter.
This filter features a 360-degree swivel. This means it can easily fit onto most kitchen sinks. Other features are also impressive, like the use of high-quality materials, a great design and a durable construction. Therefore, it is able to work in any conditions. And it is very affordable. If you have a small family or just use it yourself, this one is the perfect one.
Waterdrop 320-Gallon Long-Lasting Water Faucet Filtration System
If you need a faucet filter which can offer you more gallons of water without changings its filters frequently, this one is the best choices. It can provide you with up to 320 gallons. Due to its high-quality construction, it can last for many years. The ergonomic design is also impressive and useful.
This filter is also very efficient. Besides removing sand, dirt, rust and sediment, it is able to reduce the amount of heavy metals and chlorine in our water. And it also reduces lead, fluoride, arsenic, mercury, chrome and other contaminants.
This filter can last for up to 6 months without changing its filters on an average use of water. Therefore, it is one of the most economical faucet water filters in the market. It also comes with 6 adapters and can fit most standard sinks.
Of course, it also allows you to switch between unfiltered water and filtered water. Plus, it features a very fast water flow rate.
How Does a Tap Faucet Water Filter Work?
Before discussing the way faucet filters work, it is necessary to get more information about them. Faucet water filters clean water and does not purify it. While many people think these two things are the same, they are actually different from each other.
To clear things up, water filters provide filtered water. On the other hand, reverse osmosis systems offer pure water. There is a significant difference between the two. The following shows an overview of this difference.
A water purifier is not used on treated water. It can be used on well water or contaminated water. These systems, such as reverse osmosis systems, can take out 99 percent of any contaminants in water. The term water purifying system can be used on systems that can remove a minimum of 95 percent of contaminants.
Water filters should not be used on water sources that are highly untreated or contaminated since they are not designed for it. When water filters are used as a filter system for faucet water, it enhances water quality by 20 percent. Due to this, it can enhance water and make it healthier before it was filtered. But, it does not automatically mean the water is beneficial for you. Highly contaminated water will still be dangerous even if you use a water filter.
So, how do these systems work?
Faucet water filters normally use a cartridge filter. This cartridge features different components that are used together in filtering contaminants in water. Even as each model is unique basing on its manufacturer, many of these water filters have similar components. They also work the same way.
- Taking out sediments – the filtration process starts with removing sediments. This is normally done using non-woven screens that are wrapped around the filter cartridge. The screen is designed to block small and large particles, including dirt, sand, debris, and rust.
- Blocking using activated carbon – with most of the sediment removed, the activated carbon will start its work. The porous surface of activated carbon has a lot of nooks and crannies. These nooks and crannies trap contaminants in water hen it passes through a process known as absorption. But, the activated carbon will become inefficient when its porous surface is filled with contaminants. Due to this, it is important to always use filters that are clean. These days, filter cartridges feature treated activated carbon. Due to this, the carbon has another substance giving it some unique features. There are instances when they add silver to take out bacteria or fungi that will get through the activated carbon filter. Chemicals may also be used with the same purpose.
- Removing chemicals – the next stage in the filtration process is reducing the level of chemical contamination. While an activated carbon filter can take out typical contaminants, such as chlorine, these filters cannot remove chemicals, such as magnesium, calcium, and heavy metals. Due to this, many manufacturers include another filter to remove these contaminants. These contaminants include mercury, lead, nitrates, and nitrites. In addition, these filters also remove bad taste and odors. The period of time water remains in contact with these filter cartridges determine the number of contaminants they remove. For instance, the longer water is in contact with activated carbon filters, the more contaminants it will remove through its porous surface. Due to this, a good number of faucet water filters often offer a slow flow of water.
Advantages of Faucet Water Filters
There are numerous advantages offered by faucet water filters.
- Healthy water – These may be water filters and not water purifiers, they are capable of producing healthy water. The water is better than what normally comes out of the faucet. The source of water may be a tested well or a municipal water source, but these water filters will remove any contaminants in your drinking water.
- Easy to install – some people do not buy water filters since they are not keen on installing them. But, faucet water filters are not hard to install. These filters are normally very easy to install. Many people can install these water filters on their own within five minutes.
- Remove chlorine – all models of faucet water filters are designed to take out any chlorine from tour drinking water. Chlorine is mainly used to disinfect water from a municipal water facility. But, chlorine is associated with numerous diseases in the last ten years. Due to this, it is better to stop it from getting into your supply of drinking water.
- No bad taste or odor – faucet water filters are excellent in removing bad tastes and smells from drinking water. These filters are ideal for households with water that have a weird smell or taste.
- Stops microorganisms – faucet water filters can block Cryptosporidium and Giardia from getting into your supply of drinking water. These microorganisms can have a negative effect on your health. Symptoms of giardiasis can last up to six weeks.
- Protect the environment – the filtration process of faucet water filters does not wastewater. These filters also do not require electricity to run. This means it does not leave any carbon footprints. Using these filters is more environment-friendly compared to purchasing bottled filter water since they do not use any plastic containers.
- No plastic used – aside from protecting the environment, reducing the use of plastic is also beneficial to your health. There are some mineral water manufacturers that do not use food-grade plastic containers. The water may be contaminated by the plastic over time. In these situations, the water may result to a number of health issues.
- No nitrites or nitrates – these types of filters are designed to remove nitrites and nitrates from your supply of drinking water. These compounds are normally found in insecticides and pesticides. They may leak into your supply of water. These compounds are particularly dangerous to infants and the elderly.
- Stop heavy metals – these filters are capable of stopping numerous heavy metals from reaching your supply of drinking water. Heavy metals normally reach the supply of water through contaminated soil. But, there are instances when water pipes from the municipal water source contain these heavy metals.
Faucet Water Filters Buying Guide
While many faucet water filters work similarly, they are not designed the same way. Some of these filters offer features not found in others. But, what are the features that are beneficial for you?
What are the features to look for in faucet water filters?
- Filter change light sensors – a faucet water filter normally does not require much maintenance. But, it is important to regularly change the filter of these units. Using clean filters is important to ensure your drinking water is clean all the time. Due to this, it is important to know when you have to change the filters so you can make sure it blocks out all contaminants. Filter change sensors will facilitate this. There are some filter change sensors that activate when the time to change the filter is near. On the other hand, the sensor of other filters notifies you when it is already necessary to change the filters. It does not matter what type of sensor your filter has, what is important is that the filter has a sensor. If your water filter does not have a sensor, you will have to take note of the time when you are going to change the filter.
- Length of time to use the filter – it will not be necessary to change your filter frequently if it can last a long time. While this may not seem to offer a huge benefit since filters can be changed within five minutes, it can be annoying to go through a monthly filter change. It is advisable to get a unit that does not require frequent filter changes if you are a bit impatient about these things.
- Swivels 360 degrees – a number of faucet filters are fixed. This makes it inconvenient when you are washing dishes, particularly large trays and pots. But, this will not be a problem if the filter you are using can swivel.
- Different finishing options – you can make a water filter blend in your kitchen if you have different options for its finish selecting a filter with the same finish as the fixtures and appliances in the kitchen allows you to maintain the décor of the kitchen.
How to Install a Faucet Water Filter
While faucet water filters have different manufacturers, the installation process is normally similar. Before you install the filter, you should prepare some Teflon tape and an adjustable wrench. While all the components needed for installation are normally included, it is still better to prepare the tools you may need. The following is the procedure in installing faucet water filters.
- Take out the aerator of the faucet. Since the aerator may be screwed on tight, you should have an adjustable wrench ready if you cannot twist the aerator with your hand.
- Position the aerator on the inserts in the box of the water filter so you will know if it is the right one to use for the faucet.
- Connect the new aerator into the faucet.
- Install the faucet water filter into the new insert.
- Insert the filter cartridge into the filter if it is not pre-assembled.
- Allow the water to run for ten minutes before you start tasting the water.
- Doing this will activate the filter.
- Look for any leaks. If there are no leaks, your work is done. If you find a leak, use Teflon tape to fix them.
Cleaning and Replacing the Faucet Water Filter
The model and manufacturer determine how the filter is changed. But, there are instances when changing the filter only takes around five minutes to finish,
When the filter you are using has a filter change sensor, trust the indicator and only change the filter when the sensor notifies you. There are some manufacturers who send mail to inform you to change the filters. If the faucet water filter does not have a sensor, you should take note of the date when the filter was hanged. Many faucet water filters have a capacity indicator. This allows you to know if the filter can last for 100 or 200 gallons. But, you may not know when this will happen.
An average American household can use up to two gallons of drinking water for every person each day. Due to this, if the household has three members, it will consume around six gallons each day. In this situation, you will have to change the filter with a 200-gallon capacity every thirty days. But, your consumption will determine this period.
When you notice a deposit of limescale on the faucet water filter, you should use a clean rag and lemon/lime or vinegar to clean it. Fill a bowl using a mixture of 1/2 lemon or vinegar and 1/2 water. Dip the lean rag into the mixture and wipe the limescale with it.
Faucet Water Filters FAQs
- What can I do with used filters? Used filters can be recycled. Some manufacturers send return shipping labels to allow you to ship used filters back to them. If these labels are not provided by the manufacturer, you can look for a recycling outlet in your area.
- How frequently should you change filters? The frequency of changing the filters depends on the filter change indicator. Just follow the instructions provided. If the faucet water filter does not have an indicator, you should monitor the time when you change the filters. Calculate the volume of water you are filtering during the first week. Use this as a reference for calculating the volume of water you are using every week.
- Does the water filter remove limescale? While water filters are different from each other, faucet water filters do not normally take out magnesium and calcium in the water. This means these filters do not remove limsecale buildup since these are the main components of limescale.
These days, faucet water filters can efficiently stop and take out different types of contaminants in water. There are units that feature technology that can take out over 70 contaminants from a water source. This feature was previously possible using reverse osmosis systems.
These units do not produce any wastewater, unlike other filtration systems. Due to this, it is more affordable to use. They are also more environment-friendly. Since they offer a suitable filtering capability and affordable price, they have become widely-used these days.
The best faucet water filter on the market can take out the majority of contaminants in your supply of drinking water. This gives you excellent-tasting water that is similar to what you get from bottled water.
After reading these reviews of best faucet water filters and a buyer’s guide, it is expected that you will have an idea of the most suitable model you should get for you to use at home.
Hi, I’m a young mom and has a 3-year old boy. As a healthy living blogger, I am happy to help people who care about the quality of water, air and life make wise buying decisions and save some money. Read more