A whole house water filter is among the more popular water filtering systems in the market. The system is effective, which makes it widely-used. In addition, these systems also produce high-quality water.
But, these systems also have another advantage over other filtering systems in the market. Whole house filtering systems are also environment-friendly.
This article will discuss how a whole house water filter works. It will also look into the advantages as well as the disadvantages of these systems. Six of the best whole house water filter systems will also be reviewed. The article will also explain why these systems are a part of the list.
Best Whole House Water Filters Reviews
Would you want to know how whole house water filters work? The following is a buying guide you can use to understand how these water systems work. It also shows the benefits of using these systems and things to consider when choosing a model in the market. And we also choose the best whole house water filters for you, based on their performance, ease of installaiton, ratings, prices and customer reviews.
Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter
The Whole House Water Filter from Aquasana is an effective system that can filter 1,000,000 gallons of water. It also requires minimal maintenance. This unit also features a pro grade installation kit. In addition, it comes with a post-filter, pre-filter, brass fittings, and shut-off valves and supports needed for installation.
One advantage offered by this water filter system from Aquasana is the longevity of its softener cylinder. The filtering capacity of its cylinder is 1,000,000 gallons. This means it can be used for at least ten years, depending on the volume of water you use. The best way of keeping track of your water consumption is taking note of the initial value on the water meter. You also have to constantly monitor the value on the water meter.
This model also comes with its own pro installation kit. The components of the kit are first-class. This means you should have no issues with leaks or any defective parts.
- Suitable filters – the system features high-quality filters. This quality is noticeable once users see a notable difference in the smell and taste of the water.
- Installation Requires a Pex Crimper – A pex crimper is needed when you install this water filter system in the house. While professional plumbers may own this tool, an average person may not have this in the house.
Home Master HMF3SDGFEC Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter
The Whole House Three -Stage Water Filter from Home Master is another popular filtration system in the market. It offers a good ratio between price and value. The filtering capacity of this water filter is 15 gallons per minute. But, this depends on the water pressure.
One benefit offered by this water filter is its high-quality sediment filter. The filter is efficient and can remove particles larger than one micron from the water. Due to this, the water it produces is clean and crisp. An activated carbon filter will also be used to filter the water before it reaches the faucet.
Its activated carbon filter of the system offers suitable longevity. The filtering capacity of the water filtering system from Home Master is 100,000 gallons. This allows it to last at least one year, depending on the water consumption.
- Effective Filtration – the water filter has the capacity of removing around 93 percent of contaminants in water. It can also remove sediment, iron, and chemicals that can affect the taste of water.
- It May Not Remove All Iron – when water is contaminated with iron, this water filtering system may not be able to remove all of the iron. But, it is still capable of removing over 90 percent of it. Due to this, it may not be much of an issue.
iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
The Three-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System from iSpring is certified to remove particles bigger than five microns by the NSF. This makes it an effective filtering system. It has the capacity of removing up to 95 percent of contaminants in a water source. These contaminants include pesticides, herbicides, sediments, rust, and chlorine, among others.
This water filtration system also has an activated carbon filter with a 100,000-gallon capacity. It also offers a suitable filtering capacity. The system can remove the majority of contaminants in water for a long period of time. This volume of water is the consumption of some households for one year. There are other households that have similar consumption for two years.
Another benefit offered by the filtration system is its one-inch input and output ports. These ports are capable of allowing a maximum of 15 gallons of water per minute. This means there should be no noticeable decline in water pressure when you use this system in the home.
- Suitable Water Pressure – the large ports of the system are can handle a suitable volume of water passing through the filter every minute. Due to this, you will still have suitable water pressure after installing the system.
- Teflon Tape Needed to Avoid Leaks –it may be necessary to use Teflon tape to prevent any leaks on the connection of the water filter.
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System – Model AP903
The 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System – Model AP903 is a popular water filtration system for the whole house. Its price and filtering capacity are two reasons why people like the system.
The flow rate of the filtration system is one of the benefits of the system. While many other filtration systems have a flow rate of 15 gallons per minute, this filtration system has a 20-gallon flow rate per minute. This high water flow ensures a consistent water pressure even if more faucets are used simultaneously.
The water filtration system also requires low maintenance. Its water filters are expected to last at least one year. Changing water filters is also very easy to do. It only requires you to twist out the old one and twin in the new set of filters.
- Excellent Filter – This water filtration system can remove any contaminants from the water effectively. In addition, it is also to change the filters. The filter of the system can last for at least one year. Changing the filter only takes around three minutes to accomplish.
- May Not Work Well With Polluted Water Sources – It may be necessary to use sediment pre-filters with this filtration system with very polluted water sources.
Home Master HMF2SMGCC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
The Home Master HMF2SMGCC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter is ideal for removing particles that are bigger than one micron from the source of water. The four gradient density filter of the system allows it to provide finer filtration compared to other models. Its result is noticeable in the clarity and taste of the filtered water.
This filtration system is efficient. It can also stop sediments and most chemicals from contaminating the water source. These contaminants include chloramines, chlorine, and heavy metals, among others.
Its catalytic carbon filters of the system are capable of filtering 95,000 gallons of water. This means it can filter water for at least one year, depending on individual consumption.
The water filtration system from Home Master also comes with a two-year warranty. This means the manufacturer of the filtration system is confident of the product they are offering in the market.
- Suitable Owner’s Manual – This filtration system has a suitable owner’s manual. The manual provides the procedures and instruction in installing the system. It also offers a step-by-step procedure in changing the filter.
- Weak Water Flow – this filtration system only allows ten gallons of water to flow per minute. This may not be enough to meet the need of some households.
Watts WH-LD Premier Whole House Water Filtration System
The Watts WH-LD Premier Whole House Water Filtration System is a highly-rated water filtration system. It is also the most popular system in the market. The popularity of the model is mainly due to its affordable price. In addition, the system is quite effective, which adds to its popularity.
One advantage in using this water filter is it features stainless steel inserts. These inserts make it easy to install the system. The stainless steel inserts are more durable compared to plastic inserts. They also have a smaller tendency of cracking after a period of time.
This model is also tested and certified by the NFS. Due to this, users of this filtration system are assured of getting water that has been suitably tested and passed through stringent standards.
- Excellent Price to Value Ratio – The affordable price and efficient filtration process allow this system to offer a suitable Price to Value Ratio. It is the best among all the systems available in the market.
- The Absence of a Fixing Bracket – this filtration system does not have its own fixing bracket. People who use a fixing bracket while installing a filtration system may find this inconvenient.
What are Whole House Water Filters?
Since we are discussing whole house water filters, someone may have told you they are using it in their homes. It may also be possible that you have a whole house filter at home and you are not aware of it.
So, what are whole house water filters?
The name itself shows you that this is a filtration system that is capable of filtering water coming into the house. These are also known as Point-Of-Entry or POE systems. They are normally installed at a point before any water enters the heater. Due to this, it can filter cold and hot water. It also means filtered water always comes out of all faucets in the house. Filtered water is also supplied to the washing machine, shower, and toilet.
An Essential Buyer’s Guide to a Whole House Water Filter
Every household may use different types of whole house water filters. While all models function similarly, some may have more filters than the others. This will have an effect on how each model will filter the contaminants in water. But, you should also take into account other things aside from the number of filters in a water filter system.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Suitable Whole House Filter
- The Flow of Water – The volume of water each whole house water filter will produce is different from one model to another. This is the same volume of water that will reach all faucets, the shower, appliances, and the toilet since all water sources pass through the water filter. A small household may only require a water filter that can produce around 10 gallons of water for every minute. On the other hand, this will not be enough for larger households. It is necessary to get a water filter that can produce a larger volume of water if you are aware that the household consumes a large volume of water every day. This will include the volume of water consumed at the start of the day until the end of the day.
- Filter – The contaminant removed depends on the type of filter used. You should look for a model that is effective in removing a contaminant present in your water source depending on the water test results. A model with copper-zinc mineral filters may be suitable if the water source is heavily contaminated with heavy metals. But, a UV filter is necessary for water sources with high bacterial contamination.
The water test results and water consumption of a household will determine the features you need to take into account when you start looking for a whole house filter.
- Longevity of the Filter – This is an important feature since many whole house filter systems require minimal maintenance. One thing you may need to constantly do is to change the water filter. Different types of filters used on a water filter have different longevity. You may use a 100,000-gallon filter or a filter that can process 1,000,000 gallons of water on the same water filter system. The filter you will use would depend on the needs and water consumption of the household. This filter should have a suitable longevity and available at an affordable price.
- Water Consumption – Another thing to consider is the water consumption of the household. While an inexpensive filter may be a good idea, you may have to change the filter every month. Changing a cheap filter will add up to the cost. In this situation, you will end up paying more compared to buying a more expensive filter that does not require regular changes. In contrast, if the water consumption of the household is low and you use a filter that can be used for over five years, the system may become clogged. It is important to balance out the water consumption of the household with the longevity of the filter when you are looking for a suitable filter for the house.
- Microns – You should consider the micron rating of the filter depending on the results of water testing. A filter that can block particles bigger than 0.35 microns is considered the best in the market. But, these are more expensive compared to filters that can block particles bigger than one micron. One micron is equivalent to a thousandth of a millimeter. This makes it very small. If your water source is not too contaminated, you may not need a filter that can block particles bigger than 0.35 micron.
Importance of a Whole House Water Filtration System
Water quality is a major reason why households get a whole house water filtration system. Even water from the municipal water supply may not be as clean as it should be once it reaches your house. One thing that you may notice is whether the water is chlorinated or not.
Chlorine a disinfectant used in water treatment facilities. It has been used for a number of years already. Its presence in water is so familiar with people that when its absence may feel strange for some people. Chlorine is an excellent disinfectant and it can remove bacteria and microorganisms from the water. But, it also has a negative effect on you. Research has shown that your health will be affected when you ingest large amounts of chlorine.
Chlorinated water also has a negative effect on your hair and skin. Your hair will appear dry when you constantly wash it using chlorinated water. Similarly, chlorinated water will cause your skin to become too dry. But, you can reduce the volume of chlorine in the water supply of the house when you use a whole house filtration system. It will have beneficial effects on your skin and overall health.
Whole house water filters are also environment-friendly when compared to other kinds of filters. It is also better than purchasing bottled water.
A whole house water filtration system does not produce wastewater, which is normally produced by other systems. Due to this, the volume of water entering the filter will be the same volume that comes out of it.
On the other hand, buying bottled water increases your carbon footprint. Bottled water is available in plastic bottles. It is important to remember that some types of plastic cannot be recycled. You can help the environment when you reduce the quantity of plastic you dispose of. Bottled water is often manufactured in one part of the country and is consumed in a different part. In this situation, trucks will be used to transport them across the country. The carbon footprint of bottled water will also increase due to this.
Should I Get a Whole House Water Filter?
The water supply in your home can be better. It does not matter if the source is a backyard well or the municipal water supply. The best way of knowing that a whole house water filter is needed is to test the water source. This can be done using your own senses or a home water test kit.
You may be able to find the following depending on the result of the tests.
- The water supply is chlorinated.
- The water supply has a high volume of bacterial contamination.
- There is a strange smell or taste in the water.
- Small particles are floating in the water or it looks murky.
If any of the preceding points are present, it is necessary to install a whole house water filtration system.
How Do Whole Home Water Filter Systems Work?
Different mediums are used by whole house water filtration systems to remove contaminants found in your water supply. But, they use the same principle. The following shows an explanation on how these systems function.
The water filter is normally connected to the main water line. It is positioned before the water heater. This ensures all the water that goes into the house is filtered.
The sediment pre-filter is the first thing that water will encounter when it enters the water filtration system. This filter is designed mainly to take out large particles in the water. These particles include silt, sediment, sand, debris, or rust.
But, it also has another function. This particular filter can also help in ensuring the other filters continue to function at an extended period. It will be necessary to change the other filters regularly when the sediment pre-filter is absent.
Once the water leaves the sediment pre-filter, it will go through an activated carbon filter. This particular filter is an important part of the water filtering system. It is mainly used to remove different contaminants from the water. Activated carbon has a wide porous surface. The surface has numerous nooks and crannies. Any contaminant in the water will be drawn to them through adsorption. The filter can also remove the majority of chlorine in the water. It can also take care of remaining sediments in the water as well as volatile organic compounds or VOCs. In addition, it also removes bad smell and tastes in the water. Activated carbon filters may also receive special treatments to provide them with different properties. A number of manufacturers inject a small quantity of silver so it will have an antibacterial feature
Once the water passes through the activated carbon filter, it will go through the copper-zinc filter. It is also an important filter since it can remove the majority of contaminants remain in the water. These contaminants include chlorine and heavy metals. In addition, it will also remove bacteria and microorganisms in the water. It can also reduce the scale in water.
An optional step in the system is the presence of the water softener or descaler. Some models have their own descaler. There are also some models that use the exchange technology to descale water. In this situation, water will go into an ion-exchange filter where it will go through some resin beads. These beads have sodium ions, which will replace calcium and magnesium particles in the water. After the replacement is done, the water will become softer. But, it will also make the water saltier. There are also some systems that use salt-free water softeners to ensure the taste of the water remains neutral.
After the descaler, there is another optional step that is used more often compared to the water softener. Some systems feature a post-filter, which ensures the water that passes through it is of high quality. Water passing through a post-filter normally has very tiny particles since bigger particles were already removed. This post filter ensures that these tiny particles never reach the faucet. While it looks like a hole-filled mesh, the size of these holes spells the difference. Some holes of a post filter have a size of 0.35 microns. But in most cases, they are normally around one micron
The UV filter is another optional component available in some systems. The filter kills remaining bacteria, viruses, and other organisms that may have survived the previous filters in the system. Using a UV filter is ideal with water sources that have high bacterial contamination.
Installing and Maintaining Whole House Water Filter Systems
How to install
While the installation of a whole house water filtration system is somewhat easy to accomplish, people who are not quite into do-it-yourself projects may ask for professionals to do it for them. The following are the steps:
- Ensure the main power supply is turned off and the system is drained.
- Look for a location where the filter can be positioned. It is important to know that the filters have to be changed constantly. Due to this, the location should be accessible.
- Use a pipe cutter to cut the pipe.
- Follow the instructions of the manufacturer in installing the compression nut as well as the brass/plastic fittings. Make sure the fittings will have Teflon tape.
- Ensure the in and out ports of the filter are facing the correct direction when they are installed.
- Turn off the inlet valve of the filter before turning on the water supply. If there are no leaks, turn on the valve. Check for any leaks again.
- The system is already installed. Each time the filter has to be changed, the inlet valve should be turned off. Remove the cartridge filter using a suitable wrench.
When and How to Change
- While there are differences in changing the filters in some models, they follow a similar principle.
- Turn off the inlet valve of the water filter before changing the filter.
- Use the appropriate wrench when you remove the filter. Make sure a bucket is nearby to catch dripping water.
- Use a clean dry cloth to clean the inside of the filter.
- Put in the new filter and tighten it with the wrench.
- Turn on the inlet valve.
- Allow the water to go through the filter for around ten minutes before checking the taste of the water.
After reading this article on whole house water filters, you are ready to make a decision on the type of system you will use for the house. You can take in the tips provided in the reviews and buying guide.
Looking for the best whole house water filter is not simply looking for the most expensive model. It is important to be aware of any contamination in your water supply. Due to this, it is essential for you to know the filter you need so you can select the most appropriate model.
A home water test kit will allow you to know the contaminants in your water supply within 30 minutes. Taking this into account, you have the chance to select the most appropriate model that meets your needs.
If you think you do not need a whole house water filtration system, you may also consider a countertop water filter to meet your needs.
Hi, I’m a young mom and has a 3-year old boy. As a healthy living blogger, I am happy to help people who care about the quality of water, air and life make wise buying decisions and save some money. Read more